After posting a shot of my handmade orange slice ornaments yesterday, Jeff Cann pointed out that I left everyone hanging without a how-to for making your own. So here it is! You can also use this method on lemons, the come out amazing shades of red.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees
- Wash and dry oranges throughly
- Slice oranges thin, about 1/4 – 1/8 thick
- Place on baking racks or roasting pan without touching
- Bake for 4-6 hours. If you don’t have a rack to put your slices on, you should flip them about every hour
- The oranges will be ready when the rind is dry and no longer shiny, and the slices do not feel sticky or tacky.
Once the oranges are dry you can make a small slit with a knife tip or scissors, and tie string in a loop so you can hang them. You can also set some aside for a homemade wreath (how- to coming soon!)
Jeff also wanted to know if my dogs try to eat them, and my beagle definitely does. Can’t hang them too low on the tree!