For the past week and a half I’ve been fighting Battle Royale with the worst cold I’ve had in three years. I’ve tried everything I can think of to get rid of it, and have finally gotten to the point where I only have a small nagging cough. This week I’m listing out all the tactics I used to feel better, hope they help anyone with a cold themselves. Always see a doctor if your symptoms are abnormal, the Mayo Clinic has a lot of good info here on when seeing a doctor is necessary.
1. Prepare in advance- this is really a tip from my sister that I wish I had done. Wandering around the grocery store when your sick isn’t much fun (trust me!), so buy some soup, medicine and tissues in advance,
2. Take medicine- I used to avoid cold medication and just rely on cough drops and tea to feel better, but taking a decongestant really helped me get though work without a pounding headache.
3. Blow your nose- Don’t sniffle, your body is trying to get rid of something. Finish the job the right way by gently blowing out one nostril at a time and covering the other.
4. Drink orange juice- M sister mixes it with ginger ale, which makes you feel better and is delicious. The thickness of orange juice soothes your throat, and the vitamins might give you an energy boost.
5. Drink tea with honey and lemon- Another throat soother, it is also relaxing. If you have a favorite mug, use it! I drink mine out of a mug with a skull lurking in the bottom, it always cheers me up.
6. Get the tissues with lotion- They will keep your nose from feeling raw and turning red.
7. Use lip balm to soothe your nose- Another way to protect the underside of your nose from repeatedly blowing it. I’ve found a medicated lip balm can also help clear a stuffy nose.
8. Try the vapor rub- It really helps unblock your nose at night, and you can also use it on sore muscles even when your not sick.
9. Give yourself a break- Don’t put too much pressure on yourself to stick to an exercise routine or obligations. Let yourself rest.
10. Get lots of sleep- Go to bed early and sleep in late when you can. Getting as much rest as possible will help you get better sooner.
11. Stay hydrated- Drink plenty of water, it replaces water lost from a fever and can loosen mucus.
12. Take a shower- Even if you are home sick for the day it will make you feel better for 15 minutes. Which is enough time to find the meds you hopefully already bought, pour yourself some orange juice, and choose what you want to binge watch for the day.
Rock musician John Lennon was shot to death by Mark David Chapman. (1980)
From astronomy.com: A lone bright star now hangs low in the south during early evening. First-magnitude Fomalhaut — often called “the Solitary One” — belongs to the constellation Piscis Austrinus the Southern Fish. From mid-northern latitudes, it climbs 20° above the horizon at its best. How solitary is Fomalhaut? The nearest 1st-magnitude star to it, Achernar at the southern end of Eridanus the River, lies some 40° away.
Ridiculousness (MTV, Season 10)
Singer Otis Redding died at age 26 in the crash of his private plane in Wisconsin. (1967)
Singer Frank Sinatra was born in Hoboken, N.J. (1915)